It’s time to get the party started! I want to talk to you about one of the coolest wedding trends that I’ve been seeing lately – a speakeasy wedding after party. I’m obsessed. I think this vibe is so chic, classy, and unique. If you’ve ever been to a speakeasy, you know the mood I’m talking about. After you’ve eaten all the food, danced your shoes off, where better to continue the celebration than at a cool, sexy place. Enter: the speakeasy.
Speakeasy bars gained popularity during prohibition, as it was a place to meet with friends and have a drink (at this point, it was against the law). As you can imagine, the bars were secretive, dark, and had an especially sultry ambience to them. I love the idea of taking this vision and running with it. Below are a few ways to transform your after party into the speakeasy of your dreams.
How to get the speakeasy look and vibe:
- Pick a retro-style venue. If this is a viable option for you, the best way to set the mood is at an actual bar or speakeasy. If that’s not doable, any location with an intimate setting will work just as well.
- Have guests give a password to enter. A lot of speakeasies in the prohibition era required patrons to provide a password before they were allowed to enter or order a drink. This is a fun way to give your after-party an exclusive members-only vibe.
- Serve old-fashioned drinks. To give your party the retro feel it deserves, opt to serve drinks you would have found back in the day. Think of it as your after party signature drinks! Some popular ones include The Bee’s Knees, Old Fashioned, and Sidecar.
- Make sure to set the mood. Ask your venue to dim the lights or use warmly lit lamps to give off that sultry glow.
- Bring in some retro decor. If you are decorating the space, we recommend using a gold and black color palette, art deco-inspired decor, and velvet fabric.
It doesn’t take much to have the speakeasy-inspired fête of your dreams, but you can bet you’ll make a big impression if you plan one. What do you all think – are you going to hop on the speakeasy wedding trend? Leave us a comment below or send us a note to let us know.
Chat with you soon!
Kaitlyn & the KBE Team