Now that summer is in full swing, we can’t wait for the celebrations coming up! We love everything about warm weather weddings – longer light, brighter colors, al fresco fêtes, the fashion. But no matter how much planning we’ve done, there’s always something we can’t predict: the weather. Let’s talk about how to keep you and your guests cool during your wedding.
Even in the summer, weather can be random and erratic. While most of us know how important it is to plan for rain (always have a backup in place!), we suggest planning around the summer heat as well. If you’ve ever been to a 95-degree outdoor wedding, you know what I’m talking about. Escaping the heat for even a few minutes can make all the difference. This can be done in affordable – yet effective – ways, and your guests will be thrilled with how much thought went into making them feel a bit more comfortable.
If you’re planning a summer wedding and some of it takes place outside, here are a few of our favorite ways to keep you and your guests refreshed in the heat.
- Start cocktail hour early. Offer passed refreshments or ice cold drink stations at the ceremony that guests can take to their seats. I love the idea of having cold champagne or lemonade, but honestly, water is just as thoughtful a touch. For snacks, foods like mini gazpachos or ice cream cones are easy to eat and keep the heat at bay.
- Offer parasols, sunglasses, or hand fans for guests to take. I personally love this option because whatever item you gift can double as a favor. You can also have these customized, so they are both practical and chic.
- Opt for a shady spot. If your venue has multiple ceremony locations, choose the shadiest one. Even a little cover makes a big difference when the summer heat hits. Maybe there’s a tree that you can set your ceremony up under, or a tent the venue has for your reception. We recommend talking with your venue to see what options they offer.
- If there’s not a shady spot, create one. Post umbrellas throughout the grounds with some chairs and tables underneath so guests can take a break from the heat if they need one. I love the vibe oversized umbrellas give off in the summertime.
- Misting station. Okay hear me out. This can be done in a classy way that won’t ruin outfits or hair! I mean, if you’re sweating already, how good does a soft, cool mist sound? You can work with your florist to integrate a misting area with greenery or flowers that also serves as a décor piece.
These are just a few ideas of how keep cool in the summer and avoid guests using words like “sticky” and “sweaty” to describe your wedding. Truthfully, I might plan a summer vow renewal just so I can take some of these suggestions. How have you and your partner beaten the heat in the summer? Leave us a comment or contact us!
Chat with you soon!
Kaitlyn & the KBE Team